Thursday, 6 February 2014

E mails to Satan

I'm new to blogging but hoping to get my head around it. I'm a tired old factory worker who spends most of his working day writing stuff down on odd bits of paper and then getting home and developing them as "poems". I usually write in rhyme but am working on a piece of prose which, if I'm happy with it, I will post it on here. Here is one of my later efforts. Enjoy (hopefully)

Emails to Satan (a warning)

She wrote emails to Satan, she thought he was her friend
He told her she was special and he’d love her till the end
She thought at last she’d found someone on whom she could depend
As she typed out heart felt messages and pressed the icon “Send”

She was sad and feeling lonely and her heart was on her sleeve
And Satan’s invitation was so easy to believe
The message that he’d sent her, the ruse meant to deceive
Dark intent dressed up as innocence, “Hi my name is Steve”

She’d asked him for a photograph, he’d sent one in reply
A face that stared into her soul and made her want to cry
An expression full of sadness that looked her in the eye
Saying “Darling you can trust me, I’m an understanding guy”

A meeting was arranged, she knew that he was keen
And so full of worldly wisdom for a boy of just fifteen
She told him that she’d take the bus and meet him on the green
And sneak out by the back door making sure she’d not be seen

She waited in the darkness as drizzle filled the air
She waited and she waited and still he wasn't there
‘Till finally concluding that he really didn't care
She turned and headed home in disappointment and despair

As she walked back down the path wondering why she ever came
She heard the sound of footsteps and the whispering of her name
So she turned, then saw a stranger, whose face was not the same
As the young man in the photograph, whose love she’d come to claim

They found her in the morning; she was lying on the ground
Her coat her shoes her underwear, scattered all around
The area was then sealed off for more clues to be found
As dogs and sirens wailing filled the cold air, with their sound

The story made the national news and shocked us for a while
The TV showed a pretty face, a friendly, happy  smile
On her lap top, so the story ran, the police had found a file
And an exchange of innocent messages, that led to the act so vile

She wrote emails to Satan, she thought he was her friend
He told her she was special and he’d love her till the end
She thought at last she’d found someone on whom she could depend
As she typed out heart felt messages and pressed the icon “Send”



6 comments:

  1. Hi Barry, I've just stopped in from Linda's blog. Great poem - I was expecting one thing, and got another, much darker story instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to be honest Barry, I hate poetry...usually...but I like yours. It has great flow. I just start reading and then I am at the end. This was such a sad one, but frighteningly realistic for our times.
    (You need a follow button and no captcha, or the word verification...you'll pick up more readers that way. Welcome to the blogosphere!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well actually I got Linda to do all that, me being a complete stoneager lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this Barry. The flow of it and the content as well. Good stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jonna. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome!